Oct 23, 2017

Protein In Milk For Body Health

One of the important elements in milk is protein. The protein in the milk is usually expressed in PER (Protein Efficiency Ratio). The average value PER in milk it as much as 3.1 higher than beef, soybeans, and wheat.

protein in milk for body health - healthinews

Milk is a food with fairly complete nutritional substances. So far, people's understanding of milk is a source of protein only. In fact, in the milk contained so many other important substances, which is beneficial for the health of the body.



What is the name of the protein found in milk?


In General, the milk is composed of the moisture content of as much as 87%, and the rest or about 13% is solid. Solids in milk can be subdivided into fats, carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, and vitamins.

The protein contained in milk is composed of casein (80%), and serum protein or whey protein (20%). Casein itself actually consists of 3 types, namely alpha-casein (50%), beta-casein (33%), kappa-casein (15%).

Casein is the source of the amino acid of a protein. Benefits of casein which are to prevent hypertension, stimulating the formation of energy, defense against bacteria and viruses, as well as regulate growth in growing points.

Whey is a protein dissolved in milk serum, at a level of acidity (pH) of 4.6, and a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius. The content of whey which are beta lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, lactoferrin, immunoglobulin, and others.

In addition, Whey so many benefits to the body. For example, beta-lactoglobulin which is the largest component of whey, useful to stimulate free fatty acids, which does not cause obesity.



Is milk a good source of protein?


Most milk proteins such as casein and whey are synthesized by the epithelial cells in the body and then absorbed into the bloodstream. The protein in milk, contain all the essential amino acids, which the body needs in terms of growth and cell repair.

Besides being a good source of protein, milk also has a fat content that is important for health. The function of fat in milk is quite diverse, even can be instrumental in preventing a disease.

In children, milk consumption is important because it can help the growth of the brain, which is growing and developing. One important ingredient for brain intelligence is the cholesterol contained in milk fat.

In milk fat, there are several contents of which are phospholipids, and phosphatidylcholine, which serves to improve learning ability, and memory of the child.

In addition to assisting the development of the brain, milk fat also serves as anti-colon cancer, which can increase the apoptosis of mutant colonic cells. Milk fat also supports the growth of good bacteria that are prebiotic, as antihypertensive, antidiabetic, and immunomodulator.

How much protein is in a glass of skim milk?


Milk (1 cup) Protein (g)
Milk, reduced-fat (2 percent)
Low-fat milk (1 percent)
Milk, non-fat (skim)
Milk, non-fat canned
Milk, evaporated, condensed
Milk, buttermilk
Milk, plain chocolate
Soya milk

8.13 g
8.03 g
8.35 g
19.33 g
24.2 g
8.11 g
7.93 g
6.74 g

Daily Milk Needs For Children & Adults


After we find out some of the protein content of milk, it's also important to know our needs in every day. It was for the sake of the balance of nutrients in the body so as not to overload.

Protein is an important component for the growth of children, especially children between 1-5 years of age. Below we summarize the approximate needs of milk that can be used as a reference for you.

  • Children between the ages of 1-5 years, need 1.05 grams of protein per kg of body weight
  • Children between the ages 5-13 years old, in need of 0.95 grams of protein per kg of body weight
  • For the above 13 years of age and adults, need 0.8 grams of protein per kg of body weight

Actually, needs protein for adults also vary according to age and fitness. For adults who often work out weight, certainly have the protein needs are much higher than those who do not do strenuous sports, it is because of the needs of protein synthesis for muscle much more.